Friday, August 15, 2008

The Sixth Post

The Pool

Watching all the Olympic swimming, along with the sweltering 100 degree plus heat we've been dealing with has made me want to jump right into my swimming pool. One problem, though. I don't have a pool guy. Or a pool girl for that matter. Of course that shouldn't matter. I should be out there pouring chemicals into my pool, sweeping it, vacuuming it, scraping it, skimming it, and filtering it everyday. But I don't. I have lots of other things to do to. And believe me, it doesn't take long before the pool starts looking like a movie set out of the Black Lagoon, or a swamp from Okefenokee.

When we first moved to California four years ago, everyone thought it would be great fun to have a swimming pool. Even I liked the idea. Apparently I had forgotten my childhood days when we had a pool and I was responsible for the upkeep of that one, too. Fortunately, that one was a Doughboy above ground pool. And, yes, we had fun with it for several years, until I took over the maintenance. But then it didn't take long for it to turn into a cesspool. It didn't take long everyone to lose interest in it then. And then it didn't take long for my dad to rip it out and cover the round bare spot with grass. But my pool now is dug deep in the ground. Ripping it out is not an option. I guess I could fill it up with gravel and turn it into a septic tank.

Right now the pool isn't looking half bad. I personally take the optimistic view. If I was a pessimist I would say the pool isn't looking half good. I think that my view is the optimistic one. But I've been pouring chemicals in it like crazy, buying supplies, equipment, brushes, and robots to aid me in keeping up appearances. It has become a real money pool! Yet the only thing green in it is the algae. And despite all my efforts this year, the only one that has really used it this year was GrandX. And then he spent three weeks in the hospital after that. Fortunately, it wasn't because of the pool. I don't think.

The question, now, is, will a pool guy make things better, and maybe even save me money? That is my next quest. To find a professional pool person. My preference would be a pool gal...OUCH...I just got slugged on that one. Anyway, the pool is just getting up to standards and is finally looking good. So how about everyone car pooling on over for a swim so I can get some satisfaction from all my work.

Excuse me, I've gotta go now. I've got to chlorinate my pool.

More News
I will be at Disneyland on Monday with Kaitie Lou Who, Bones, and Auntie Mommie. Join us if you dare. The girls will be at the main gate at eight. I will join them later. E-mail for details if you want to meet us. We will be having a shoot out at Toy Story Mania. Expect to see higher, much higher scores on Tuesday.





No comments: