Monday, August 25, 2008

Postcards From My Cell Phone San Francisco Zoo











San Francisco Zoo

San Francisco, California

Kaitie Lou Who and I took a trip to the San Francisco Bay Area last September to get away from the smoke from all the fires. While we were there I thought we might go check out the SF Zoo. I remember the zoo from when I was a kid. There's not much left there from when I was a kid. There is no more elephant train, they don't even have elephants, and Monkey Island is no more. The Lion House made headlines shortly after our visit when a tiger escaped and killed one kid and mauled a couple others. Makes a visit to the zoo more exciting in my opinion! I'm sure they had it coming to them. There's still a lot of good stuff at the zoo. New enclosures, apes, the historic 1921 Dentzel carousel with its intricately, hand carved wooden horses has been renovated, and most importantly, the historic miniature Little Puffer steam locomotive and railroad has been restored and relaid in a new location. Here we have a couple alpacas at the petting zoo. Alpacas have been of interst to us lately since Grandmama has taken up knitting and spinning. The children's zoo is also a far stretch from what it used to be. Today it is a barn in a farm setting where kids can come and pet farm animals. When I was a kid it had baby zebras and elephants that kids could pet. I can remember when I was a kid I got butted in the head by a unicorn. They don't even have unicorns anywhere anymore. It's just not the same today is it? Being a kid just doesn't seem fun anymore.

Anyway, having fun. Wish you were here,
Bob

No comments: