Monday, September 8, 2008

Postcards From My Cell Phone Sequoia National Park

Sequoia National Park King's Canyon National Park

Central California, USA




These two national parks are right next to each other, and you never really know when you go from one to the other. They have some of the largest trees in the world. Both the General Sherman and General Grant trees are Giant Sequoias. They may not be the tallest, topping out at around 275 feet, but they are the biggest by volume. The General Sherman is the largest single living organism by volume. The trunk alone measured in at 1487 cubic meters. WOW! The tree is estimated to be around 2500 years old. Imagine the history it has lived through.

The parks also have an abundance of wildlife. For instance, during our visit we encountered a bear. I wasn't able to get a very good picture of it because I was running too fast.

Anyway, having fun. Wish you were here.
Bob

2 comments:

Mike Cream said...

Did I win yet.

granny said...

When I win the ice cream I get to choose the flavor and you will need to deliver it to my freezer. Remember you should render special treatment to your elders. Carmen