Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Fifteenth Post

Stress, Pain, and New Jobs

They say a new job is one of the highest stress related contributors.  Then when you add two jobs at once, wow!  I just completed my third day of training at my almost dream job.  I am at the happiestplace on earth and have always wanted to work there in some capacity.  Of course the only thing that would truly make it my dream job would be to be a steam locomotive engineer on the railroad.  I have been told that that will come.  But first things first; I have to get through training on the attraction that I have been initially assigned to: Indiana Jones.

Despite rumors to the contrary, I am not involved in any way shape or form with the Tarzan Tree House.  (One look at me in my Depends costume and it was all over).  The only thing I have to worry about is Indiana Jones.  Now this is the parks most technologically advanced and most popular attraction, so they have entrusted me with a lot of stuff here.  Anyway, the focus is always on safety.  And when you ride on these things everything looks pretty easy to the innocent by-stander, however, that is not necessarily the case.  Every position has about a hundred things they have to do, and while doing that keep people moving, be courteous, and do everything right.  There is no margin of error.  Yes, it could cause a little stress.  So far I have been learning how to greet people, verify fastpasses, merge the two lines together, push buttons so no-one gets hurt, know what the buttons do, and control the lines through the safety film/spiel.

In addition to all of this, you know that I also just started another new job last week.  Well, trying the juggle the schedule between the two has often been challenging.  For instance:  Originally, before I had the Dland job I had two presentations scheduled for next Thursday and Friday.  When I took the Dland job I had to guarantee that I could be available on Fridays and weekends, so I promptly made arrangements to have my Friday presentation covered.  Then, when I got my first schedule, It had me training on Thursday, but off Friday.  I was told that during training, there was nothing they could do about it.  So I went home and undid my preparations.  When I got back on Friday, they had honored my request so I had to go and recover my Friday.  What a headache.  Anyway, they told me that once I get through training I can schedule needed days off in advance.  I hope so.

Now for the pain.  As I mentioned last week, my leg was cramping and hurting right after I started the other job.  Well, it hasn't gone away, it has only gotten worse.  Probably from the stress.  I am sure bing on my feet all day hasn't helped matters.  For the last couple days I have been taking a lot of Ibuprofen.  Today it wasn't too bad until I walked back to the hotel and it started hurting all over again.  I am planning to soak it in hot water tonight, go to bed early and rest.  I have to be in at 5:00am tomorrow so rest isn't a bad thing to do right now.  I am off at 1:30pm tomorrow and then done until Friday.  Oh the pains of wanting to become a steam locomotive engineer.  One could never imagine.  Hopefully, my leg will be feeling better by then. 
In the meantime in my next post I will talk a little bit about how involved the training has been.

Until next time...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I haven't seen very many comments, I guess the icecream is mine.

B.O.B. Boston said...

Except you posted anonymously so I don't know who you are!

Carmen said...

Are we close to a 1000 yet?

Megan said...

Are we there yet?

Unknown said...

Oh my! Good job on the JOBZ! Take care of yourself meanwhile and try not to overdo it!!!!!!!!! :) Have fun!