Monday, April 5, 2010

Post Cards From My Cell Phone

Greetings From Salt Lake City, UT!
This last week found me in Salt Lake City, Utah. I spent spring break in the Salt Lake City and Provo area visiting my old stomping grounds of BYU. Things have changed a lot since I was there way back in the early '80's. One thing sure hasn't changed, though: Spring! As you can see it was snowing. It was snowing a lot! I had a hard time walking across Temple Square because the side walks were so slippery. It was also so cold most people were hustling and bustling to get inside and stay inside. And then there was me. Trying to take a picture with my i-phone. I am still trying to get the hand of it. The hardest part is trying to figure out where the shutter button is on a piece of glass that is facing away from you. Half the time I end up taking pictures before I'm ready because my fingers slide over the virtual button. If you have an i-phone, you probably understand what I am talking about. The hardest thing is people watching me from inside the warm building trying to take a picture of myself as I get covered with snow. Finally, someone feels sorry for me and scurries outside to help me take a picture. But then I have to explain, since it is for my Post Card entry, it has to be a self portrait. Nothing else works. Then they shake their head and scurry back into the warmth as I continue to struggle with my picture.
Salt Lake City was founded in 1847 as Great Salt Lake City. It was settled by Mormon pioneers led by Brigham Young. The Salt Lake Temple is probably the best known of the Mormon temples. It was started shortly after the arrival of the pioneers and completed some 40 years later, though some of those years construction was dormant and they had to rebuild the entire foundation. It is built from quartz monzanite which most people take for granite. (That's a little Jungle Cruise humor there.) But it's not. It just looks like granite.

Temple Square has a lot to do. I spent time taking tours, listening to an organ recital, and visiting some of the history museums and learning how people lived once they first arrived in the valley. It was a very interesting trip to Salt Lake City, Utah.

Hey look! Mormons do have horns!

No comments: