Friday, March 19, 2010

Post Cards From My Cell Phone


GREETINGS FROM SACRAMENTO, CA

Two weeks ago I attended a conference in Sacramento, CA. I have been to Sacramento several times but never to the capital building. I'm not even sure if I had even been by it before. My hotel room was just a couple block away so I thought I would arrive early and take a walk over and tour the building.

It was getting kind of late so I hurried on over and entered the building, emptying my pockets at the security check and then making my way to the center of the building where the tours start. But as my luck would have it I got there exactly one minute after the last tour had departed; so I was on my own.
The ground floor of the original building houses the original governor's. treasurer's and state's offices furnished as they were over a century ago. Making my way to the third floor I found the galleys to the Assembly and Senate chambers. Since it was a Friday afternoon, of course there was not a thing happening when I was there.

When I left the building I decided to take pictures for my post cards. Now I have a fairly new i-phone and haven't taken too many pictures with it yet. I found this to be a challenge, since my pictures are self portraits, and unlike my other phones where you could kind of
see what you were doing, taking a picture with the i-phone was done completely blind. It took several takes to even get a part of me in the pictures. I am sure that onlookers may have thought it a strange sight with this lone guy taking pictures of himself in front of the capital building. But it didn't bother me any, after all, this is California; and I was at the Capital.

As I was
finishing up my pictures I heard someone shouting at me: "Bob, Bob!" I looked up and didn't see anyone I knew. I just saw this man and lady yelling and waving at me to come over. I had no idea who they were. I cautiously walked over to them, this is California you know, and when I got to them they asked me to take their picture for them. Since I worked at Disneyland, this was not any unusual request so I agreed and as I was setting up the shot I glanced down to my chest to see if I was wearing my Disneyland name tag. I wasn't. Turns out he was in one of my workshops a year ago and was there for the same conference I was attending. I have hundreds of people in my workshops from all over the state. I guess I don't remember every single one of them. When I finished with them, they thanked me and went on their way. As I turned to go the other way, another gentleman asked me to take a picture of him and his family. I did. When I was done, there was a line of people holding out their camera's waiting their turn for me to take their picture. I was there until it was too dark to take any more pictures.

No comments: